Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Prague and last few days of school

This weekend I had fun in Prague! Brittany and I walked our buts off, up and down hills and around areas several times but always found our way. We saw Prague Castle, Charles Bridge, Town Square and the Astronomical clock. Everything was so interesting and appeared so different from England. Much older, I had read it was one of the few cities untouched by war all of these years. Prague Castle was absolutely amazing with St. Vitus Cathedral and its dark Gothic appearance. 

Here are also several views from the castle overlooking the city. It absolutely gorgeous up there.



 Sorry, it doesnt matter what I do to these pictures one of them always comes out weird but this was the astronomical clock in Old Town Square.
Brittany and I also managed to go amazing race style yet again this weekend! Our flight back from Prague was delayed about a half hour and in turn put us on a time crunch to make it to the bus we had already paid for getting back to Cambridge. Once we landed we had half an hour to get through customs, and talk our way through it because we had forgotten our university letter, run was felt like forever to get to where the buses were with everything on our backs and made it on the bus with 5 minutes to spare!

This week is my last few days in the classroom and a few of the students still ask me the questions of how I feel about leaving. I explain that it is bittersweet because while I love seeing everything here and experiencing the culture, I miss my family very much. A few of them thought my family even came with me. How funny. On Monday I taught the students how to play kickball, yes kickball, none of the students had heard of the game nor had the teachers. So upsetting. haha. But they loved it! In turn the students showed me to play a playground game called canton ball- you slam a ball against the ground and the other team has to catch the ball before it bounces again. Most of the students were eager for me to play and the students are very considerate of others in making sure that I got a turn to bounce the ball.

My teacher also lined up for me to observe a year 2 class (1st grade) because they were having a language lesson on Esperata. I learned it is a language designed to help students learn other languages later on and has a mix of many languages in it. The teacher kept referring to it as the world language. I was able to spot a few sounds and words that I associate with different languages.

Tomorrow for the last day I am taking in candy- Starbursts and Airheads. However, my school is a candy and soda free school so I have to explain to the students that I am entrusting them with candy in which their parents decide whether or not they are allowed to have it and are not allowed to eat it on school grounds. I have no problem in doing this, just thought it would be fun for the students to try something new. However, after I got here I realized they have starburst, but not  airheads!

I have Thursday to wander about and then the teachers and head teachers are invited to a get together at the Free Press Thursday night. I plan on visiting the market and picking up a few last souvenirs before then. Then we head for London on Friday to come home!

No comments:

Post a Comment